Shopping at the farmers market means enjoying foods at their seasonal peak! This month, anticipate the return of the amazing avocado! Learn about the fruit itself, tips and even a simple recipe that includes ingredients you can pick up at all of our farmers' markets locations in February!
Did you know?
California growing season lasts from February through September! Avocados have the highest fiber content of any fruit and contain vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, magnesium, and folate. Avocados also contain four grams of protein, making them the fruit with the highest protein content!
You can tell that an avocado is ripe when they feel heavy for their size and are dark in color. Really ripe avocados will give when they are squeezed gently (use your palm, not your fingers).
If you want to quicken the ripening process, simply put one in brown paper bag for 2-4 days. You can speed this process up even more by putting adding a banana to the bag.
Baked Eggs in Avocado!
Purchase farm fresh eggs from happy chickens and ripe avocados for this simple but delicious recipe!
2 ripe avocados
4 fresh eggs
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Slice the avocados in half, and take out the pit. Scoop out about two tablespoons of flesh from the center of the avocado, just enough so the egg will fit snugly in the center.
3. Place the avocados in a small baking dish. Do your best to make sure they fit tightly.
4. Crack an egg into each avocado half. Try your best to crack the yolk in first, then let the egg whites spill in to fill up the rest of the shell.
5. Place in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cooking time will depend on the size of your eggs and avocados. Just make sure the egg whites have enough time to set.
6. Remove from oven, then season with pepper, chives, and garnish of your choice. Enjoy!